Monday, April 6, 2015

EDITORIAL ;LAGOS AND THE MIGRANT QUESTION


I was born in Lagos. I was born at the famed Massey Street Hospital. I was born in the year when Nigeria became a republic, and the yaba clock tower was the border with the western region and what is now the Ajah corridor a western region territory.

I was educated free of charge in Lagos, up to University level. I am a third generation land owner in Lagos. I am a stakeholder in at least three local governments in the state.
But, I am not a Lagosian.
I am an ibadanman, and extremely proud of it. I would not exchange my heritage for any short term political gain, and I would not go out of my way to denigrate the institutions of Lagos, no matter the provocation.
The constitution gives me the right to vote and be voted for in any place of abode, but common decency would not allow me to insult the mores and titular heads of my hosts,I will protest with my vote, in private, not by joining an ethnic mob, and not by antagonizing the natives.
Because no matter how angry a sibling is to his brother, it is not to allow outsiders to berate him.
Because if this barbaric baying for blood is not handed with caution, and some common sense and decency do not override the mob, the repercussions may be beyond that just a political contest.
After all, even if the Fox's eyes are bloodshot, it is not the place of the hen to announce it.
My ten kobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW HOME, CAR OWNERS EMERGE AS COWLSO ENDS THREE DAY WOMEN'S CONFERENCE.

As the 23rd edition of the National Women's Conference organized by the Committee of Wives of Lagos State Officials (COWLSO), ends today...